#518 It crêped up on us yet again...


As I write this, many of you will be preparing to give up various foods and drinks for the next 40 days. Shrove Tuesday has come to an end, you will all surely have stuffed your faces with as many pancakes as possible in an effort to use up those eggs and yet why? During the early Middle Ages Thomas Aquinas argued that fasting from them was essential because "they afford greater pleasure as food than fish and greater nourishment to the human body, so that from their consumption there results a greater surplus available for seminal matter, which when abundant becomes a great incentive to lust."
Or not… You see for those of us raised under the Davidson roof, Pancake Day has always seemed slightly odd to us. Now for those of you, who have not had the good fortune to wake up in our house yet, allow me to explain. We have regularly given into the carnal pancake temptation.
My mother has always and famously put on a rather lavish breakfast whenever there are mouths that warrant it. Her tremendous breakfast consists of a platter of Scotch pancakes, thick cut bacon (smoked and un-smoked), yogurt and the usual cereal, oatcakes, juices and, replenishing pots of tea and coffee.
Now I remember being taken on holidays around America when we were young, breakfast frequently involved pancakes with maple syrup, ketchup and chocolate sauce, as well as blueberries and an endless list of other toppings. However I feel the sweet ones were the main ones we adopted on returning to Scotland. There was a distinct lack of fruit, which although part of our heritage perhaps explains why mum has always tried to encourage fruit in our cereal bowls.
As I write this I realize I have been spoilt, but rather than reject my past I would seek to take it further and build on it. What could you have on your pancakes to raise the bar, as it were? I would vouch for pistachio honey butter, white fudge with bourbon and pecans, raspberry goats cheese and truffles. My mouth is watering at the thought of these ‘pancakes’ but then again these are not just pancakes…
I bumped into my chum Jamie earlier this evening. He was on his way to a sort of 'fusion party' involving reeling and Shrove Tuesday. The hostess had instructed him to bring something to complement her pancakes. What should he bring he asked me… The answer at that point seemed so obvious, jam. At such short notice my suggestions would have been ridiculous, how about cranberry champagne jam, or grape jam, or strawberry balsamic thyme jam? With no time to prep and only Sainsbos for help a St. Dalfour Rhapsodie was the only solution.
As I wondered home though, I thought about what you should or could drink with your gourmet pancakes (after the watershed of course) but fruit beer perhaps? Maybe even sherry, I love sherry. I would like to see some Pedro Ximenex with chocolate fondant pancakes. Some pink champagne to complement any fresh berry toppings on the others. Innocent Bystander Moscato, Michele Chiario Nivole Moscato d’Asti and Contero Brachetto d’acqui could all pair nicely with some of the outrageous jams I have suggested.
So while Nigella is busy rustling up something warm and filling and Hugh stays in the sticks with honey and butter (which though I have all the time in the world for) I recommend you go for opulence. Fasting during Lent was more severe in ancient times than today but come on after all, we are not here for a long time, we are here for a good time.

Comments